June 24 @ 8:30 pm - 10:30 pm |
Screening Venue: Theatre Lawrence
(4660 Bauer Farm Dr.)
Director: John Waters
Narrative feature. Running Time: 1 hour 32 minutes
1960s Baltimore teenager Tracy Turnblad (Ricki Lake) finally gets her big break and lands on an American Bandstand-inspired TV show. Tracy soon forces the issue of integrated dancing on the previously all white program, much to the horror of her square parents (Waters’ longtime muse Divine and comedian Jerry Stiller).
“In a very real sense, Hairspray is Waters’ most daring movie. It took more courage and judgment to make a comedy like Hairspray than it did to make Pink Flamingos.”—Kevin Thomas, Los Angeles Times.
To set the stage for an evening of movie-revelry, pageant queens Miss Gay Kansas 2020 Deja Brooks and Miss Kansas 2020 Annika Wooton team up for a Divinely-inspired music number and speed-painting. Deja performs as the character of Tracy Turnblad while Annika demonstrates her award-winning pageant talent of speed painting Miss Brooks in action – all in just under seven minutes!
Special appearance by Kathy Eisman as Edna Turnblad!
While you are waiting for the movie to start, you can also enjoy movie-centric puzzle experiences by Breakout Lawrence, buy raffle tickets for a chance to win Annika’s original Deja portrait and prizes from Game Nut.
- Event is FREE, but registration is required!
- Sign up for a family/group pod, not individual members of a family/group pod that can accommodate between 2 and 6 people.
- Be sure to bring lawn or camping chairs (this is not a drive-in and parking will be available close to the venue).
- Gates open at 8pm. Arrive by 8:30 to secure your spot.
- Concessions are available on site. No outside food or drinks.
- In the event of rain, this film will be rescheduled for Thursday, June 1 – same time and place.
Event Sponsors & Partners: